Dinner Guest #51 - The Elders

Sunday, December 30, 2012

I’m getting older. 

I suppose I thought I was immune.  While I feel 28 on the inside, I look in the mirror and see a tired, 41 year old mamma.  My age really revealed itself to me when I caught myself viewing our dinner guests through a mother’s eyes.

This Sunday we fed two missionaries from our church:  Elder Fugate and Elder Kredt.  With Christmas only five days previous, our topics of conversation were gifts and holiday celebrations.  LDS missionaries are only able to speak to their families two days a year, Christmas and Mother’s Day, so we asked about their phone calls on Christmas day.  As the Elders shared stories about their parents and siblings, of Christmas packages filled with socks and ties, I realized,  

“These boys are someone’s sons.  They are missed.  Their families pray for them daily and their mothers worry about them.”

For dinner I made creamy chicken noodle soup, parmesan rolls, and a spinach salad with apples, beets, dried cranberries and balsamic dressing.  I attempted a new pumpkin praline dessert with vanilla ice cream from a popular cake mix website.  The pumpkinish cobbler didn’t turn out how I expected, but it was edible.  I scraped the leftovers into the trash can later that night.  Rock only ate rolls, as usual.  Jesus said that "man shall not live by bread alone," but Rock seems to be challenging that principle.  Elder Fugate barely ate anything because he was sick with a chest cold. 

Before the Elders left, they shared a spiritual thought with us.  It was simple and perfect for the short attention spans of our children.  Each Elder talked about the importance of reading the scriptures and the promises that Heavenly Father makes to us if we read them.

As they left, I gave Elder Fugate some Mucinex DM and told him of my home remedy tips with Vicks Vapo-rub.  That’s how I know I’m getting older.  For the first time in my life, I caught myself mothering someone.

God couldn’t be everywhere, so he created mothers. – Jewish Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment